-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of "Crash" Dummy
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:52 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Alias versus Symbolic Links

The Apache documentation says,
"There are frequently circumstances where it is necessary to allow web
access to
parts of the filesystem that are not strictly underneath the DocumentRoot.
Apache offers several different ways to accomplish this. On Unix systems,
symbolic links can bring other parts of the filesystem under the
DocumentRoot.
For security reasons, Apache will follow symbolic links only if the Options
setting for the relevant directory includes FollowSymLinks or
SymLinksIfOwnerMatch."

"Alternatively, the Alias directive will map any part of the filesystem into
the
web space..."

My question is, What the hell is a symbolic link? I have Apache installed on
Windows 2000, and use aliases to map stuff to the DocumentRoot. Are
"symbolic
links" a purely *nix thing? Can I just ignore them and their related
directives
(like FollowSymLInks)?

yes.

lh..