On 05.08.2007 16:23 CE(S)T, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/5/07, Yves Goergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 04.08.2007 18:25 CE(S)T, Joshua Slive wrote:
>>> Once you know that you need to use mod_rewite, there is no point in
>>> fooling around with mod_setenvif. It is simpler to do everything in
>>> mod_rewrite. Or avoid it entirely.
>> My point with SetEnv[If] was to only enter the hostname once and not in
>> every single rule.
>
> I still think you are over-complicated.

In what way?

> But your problem could probably be solved with an appropriate
> RewriteBase directive.

I just re-read the entire available documentation for RewriteBase and
don't see how it can be useful to me. If I understood that short
description right, I would need a separate RewriteBase for every URL
through which this directory can be accessed. This is two separate URLs,
one on domain A with a path name and one on domain B with NO path name
specified.

But as I'm spending more time with it, I think that mod_rewrite just
isn't capable of doing what I want. If it could execute arbitrary URL
modification code, I could tell it what I mean. But the provided
declarative syntax is too weak. So I'm considering altering the
directory structure so that my subdomain is no longer accessible as a
subdirectory of the 2nd-level domain. When removing a "www." from the
URL is enough, my solution seems to work already.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>