I have to questions regarding Apache:

1. With my setup I will have config files that are as big as 10mb, since I have complicated vhost config and 5000 vhosts. Will this slow Apache down significantly or have any other negative impact? The Problem is that the vhost config is to complicated for mod_vhost_alias...

2. I have 4 Servers. 3 of them to hold user content and one as a master server, which serves the startpage and login page etc. I would like to place my Error 404 document on the Master Server. But when I set the Error 404 to an http:// location pointing directly to my Error 404 page on master server. But this makes the page have status 200 and not 404 anymore.
How can I solve this problem?

Regards,
Samy