On 8/19/07, Per Jessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've been re-reading the manual to try to gain a better understanding of
> filters and handlers, specifically the difference between the two.
>
> The reason being -
>
> by default, the PHP interpreter is called as a handler (a typical
> config: "AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .phtml".  By implementation
> INCLUDES is a filter which is enabled using e.g.
> "AddOutputFilter INCLUDES shtml".
>
> I'd like to have my files processed first by the INCLUDES filter, then
> by the PHP handler.  The "AddOutputFilter" option clearly supports this
> type of sequence.
>
> But back to my initial question - what is the functional difference
> between a handler and a filter?

Handlers must originate the content themselves, whereas filters can
deal with content passed down from someplace else.

PHP is only a handler, due to zend's requirement that it deal with the
php file on disk and not in memory. (This was the argument at the
time, anyway. I'm not sure if things in php land have evolved since
that decision was made.) Therefore PHP must originate the content and
can't act on content passed from someplace else like mod_include.

Joshua.