Hi,

mod_rewrite doesn't seem to be working. I'm running Apache/2.2.4 (Win32)
PHP/5.2.3, and mod_rewrite appears to be loaded (according to phpinfo() and
httpd -t -D DUMP_MODULES).

At this point, I'll be very happy with any rewriting of any sort - with virtual
hosts or not - though, I'd eventually like to get it working with virtual
hosts. Since I've destroyed my config files I'll probably start with a brand
new Apache install (or at least a new httpd.conf), but here's what I've got
right now in my httpd.conf in global context:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteLog c:\temp\rewrite.log
RewriteLogLevel 7
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://cnn.com/ [R=301,L]

The <Directory...> section for document_root is currently in its post-install
form.

My virtual host entry:

    <VirtualHost *:80>

          ServerName local.songsabout.net
          DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/vhosts/songsabout"

            <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/vhosts/songabout">
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
            </Directory>
    </VirtualHost>

The rewrite.log is created, but never written to. No rewriting ever seems to
take place. If a file does not exist, I get a 404. If it does, I get the proper
file. But I never get redirected to cnn.com, regardless the permutation of
RewriteRules and RewriteConds I use.

I could not find good documentation for RewriteLogLevel. The docs saying 9 or
higher should log almost everything - I am guessing that only if it's actually
matching a URL?

I just upgraded from Apache 2.0.53, so had probs with 'permission denied',
until I hacked up my httpd.conf, along with my vhosts file, but now I've reset
my httpd.conf and hacked up my vhosts include file sufficiently to get around
those early 'permission denied' probs.

Aside from the obvious, 'What am I doing wrong?', there is the question, is it
possible to have mod_rewrite log why it is _not_ doing anything? Presumably it
must be looking at incoming URLs and deciding that they don't match. I've tried
a couple of the suggestions in the forums here - enabling stuff, moving
directives to httpd.conf out of my 'included' vhosts file, prepending the
'RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}' lines with full directory paths, with and
without quotes, always restarting the server, but nada.

Thanks for any hints!

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?