Israel Brewster wrote:
First off, I apologize for asking a question that I know you get a
lot, but I have just spent the last hour and a half beating my head
against the wall and searching the internet trying to find a solution
with no luck.

Short version: I have an existing OpenBSD 4.0 box on which Apache
(version 1.3.29) is working properly, including execution of CGI
scripts. I am trying to move to a new machine with OpenBSD 4.1, so I
started with a fresh OpenBSD 4.1 install, which comes with the same
version of Apache as 4.0, and copied the httpd.conf file over from my
old machine. After starting the web server, however, I found that it
could not run any CGI scripts- always just giving me the following
error:

[Thu Aug 23 08:45:40 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end
of script headers: /cgi-bin/test-cgi

The details: Aside from being OpenBSD 4.1, the new box is set up the
same as the old one. I have checked and double checked the
permissions on both the cgi files, including the test cgi included
with the install, as well as the CGI folder. The test-cgi, as well as
the printenv both run fine from a terminal window. I tried reverting
to the factory default httpd.conf, with no luck. The permissions on
the contents of the cgi-bin folder are as follows:

ls -l /var/www/cgi-bin/
total 212
----------  1 root  bin     99072 Mar 10 16:41 bgplg
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  daemon    512 Aug 23 07:59 nagios
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin       268 Mar 10 16:32 printenv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin       757 Mar 10 16:32 test-cgi

the cgi-bin folder itself has 755 permissions. The relevant section
from the httpd.conf file is as follows:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

    #
    # "@@ServerRoot@@/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your
ScriptAliased
    # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
    #
    <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options none
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

I have tried adding an "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi" directive to that
block, as one webpage I found suggested, as well as changing the
"Option none" to "Options ExecCGI". I did, of course, restart the
server between each configuration change. I have also tried with
various different CGI scripts, most of which come from a fresh
install. Nothing seems to make any difference- I still get the
"premature end of script headers" error. If this was linux, i'd say
check the SELinux settings, but it isn't. What am I missing here?

Are you sure that this new version of BSD doesn't have something similar to selinux that may be blocking your access?

It sure matches the symptoms one gets when selinux is the culprit on a linux installation.

Dragon