Hi folks;

I am attempting to use mod_deflate to compress ONLY text output files (since "compressing" images is a waste, natch)

I have the following in my httpd.conf file:

#
# Deflate text if the user's browser can handle it
#
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml DeflateFilterNote Input instream
DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
CustomLog /var/log/httpd.deflate_log deflate

Which, for static sites, works fine.

However, I have a site which is entirely built by a CGI program. That program returns a proper "Content-Type:" header; some content is text/html, some might be text/xml, some might be image/gif, some might be image/jpeg, etc.

Well, it appears that Apache isn't actually looking at those headers, and the deflate filter is "compressing" all output - including the stuff that can't be compressed!

While this isn't a huge deal (it just doesn't get any smaller) it is hitting my CPU pretty hard.

Here's an example from the deflate log file:

"GET /cgi-ticker/akcs-www HTTP/1.1" 6466/21060 (30%)
"GET /cgi-ticker/akcs-www?getavatar=foxymoron HTTP/1.1" 8459/8696 (97%)
"GET /smilies/money.gif HTTP/1.1" 207/202 (102%)

First line, good, second not so good (that's a JPEG file!) and the third, NO NO NO NO!

How come, given that I specified the types I wanted to be "deflated" above?

--
Karl Denninger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.denninger.net

%SPAMBLOCK-SYS: Matched [apache.org], message ok