On 8/31/07, Peter Rabbitson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> > On 8/31/07, Peter Rabbitson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> My question is whether this is documented anywhere? I use a number of
> >> mod_macro statements all over my site and always believed that order of
> >> statements is not significant, only the nesting level. Now I am not sure
> >> how many more hidden problems I have in my configs.
> >>
> >> Please point me to documentation in what circumstances the order of
> >> similar statements is significant, as my digging around the 2.2 manual
> >> proved fruitless.
> >
> > See:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#mergin
> > and in particular the sentence:
> > "Apart from <Directory>, each group is processed in the order that
> > they appear in the configuration files."
> >

> So in other words I am responsible for ordering all directives "shortest
> directive path first" except for Directory, which is reordered
> automatically.

Yes. But in all likelihood, you should be using <Directory> and not
<Location> in the first place. <Location> is for controlling URLs that
aren't related to the filesystem. Therefore there is no real reason to
believe that the arguments to <Location> will have a hierarchical
file-system-like structure, so it wouldn't make sense for httpd to
reorder them in that way.

Joshua.