> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to think of an optimal mass vhosting solution for my server.
> But even after reading http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/mass.html
> and http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html I couldn't
> make up my mind and have actually more questions then aswers. Here they
> are:

This is a little much for one post, which is probably why nobody is
answering. You should make your questions shorter and more specific.

> 1. I have the choice of using mod_vhost_alias nad mod_rewrite.
>   a. Did anyone compare the performance of these two modules for mass
> hosting? Since mod_vhost_alias is meant just to do that i guess that it
> might perform better..

While you are probably correct, the difference between the two would
probably not be observable in any real-world situation.

>   b. Won't mod_rewrite issue some redirect (3xx) response when used?

Not if you configure it correctly.

>   c. Cant the mod_rewrite rewrites collide somehow with other rewrites in
> htaccess files of the vhosted domains?

Yes. But so could mod_vhost_alias. In fact, it is better to use
mod_rewrite if you already use a bunch of rewrite stuff, because that
way the order of precedence of rules is more clearly definable.

>    If there are some reasons to use more then one mass
> vhosting template, please give me an example, I dont want to overlook
> something.

This is all about local needs. Some people can't setup all their
vhosts on the filesystem as required by mod_vhost_alias, for example.

> 2. How would you implement this? I have something in mind, please correct
> me if something seems problematic

I don't really see a question here. Why don't you try it out yourself
and come back if you have specific problems?

(One thing I would do would be to forget about splitting by first
letter. A modern filesystem can handle 500 directory entries with no
problem. You only need to split if you have many thousands of hosts.)

Joshua.