Hi all,

I have created a chroot to run my apache in under SLES10. I have previously
done this in solaris and it worked perfectly , however differences in linux are
causing problems for me when starting.

Apache 2.2.4 has been built and installed and the required apache and OS
libraries and files have been copied into the chroot directory hierarchy.
when i start apache it complains of the following:

[Mon Sep 17 13:12:11 2007] [crit] (EAI 2)Name or service not known:
alloc_listener: failed to set up sockaddr for grid2
Syntax error on line 4 of /opt/app/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Listen setup failed

I have tracked this down to required access to the /var/run/nscd/socket file, i
can resolve this by doing a read-only mount bind of /var/run/nscd into my jail,
however this is not ideal as it exposes my password and shadow files to the
world albeit owned by the root user and not readable by anyone else.

The built apache seems to want to use nscd as a caching-daemon for any name
related call regardless of settings in nsswitch.conf. And i need to use
hostnames in my configurations to allow portability across multiple web servers.

Has anyone successfully jailed apache in SLES10 and got round this issue?

cheers in advance

Steve

Capgemini is a trading name used by the Capgemini Group of companies which
includes Capgemini UK plc, a company registered in England and Wales (number
943935) whose registered office is at No. 1 Forge End, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6DB.
the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or
any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.