>   * it's not terribly safe to modify the configuration structures created
>     by httpd, they really are applied in a serial manner, not as some state
>     machine the config state.  Most platforms couldn't unlink a module and
>     replace it with the same (new build) of a module even if you tried in
>     a running process (why do you suppose you have to reboot after a kernel
>     patch anyways?)

I got this idea from kernel only...
if you compile any part of kernel as module, then you can insert, remove
or modify it and then re-insert the kernel-module without restarting
machine atall :-)
and Its not that memory expensive in case of kernel...

But as we are now talking about user-space process, things do change
I am not sure, but I think that it should be possible to do the same with
userspace processes also

>   * Adding the sorts of features you suggest would substantially bloat
>     httpd; there's a reason why you must have a GB to run a windows box
>     anymore as a workstation :)  httpd's optimization is one core mission,
>     the fastest possible service of individual requests.  Not startup,
>     not teardown and not reconfiguration.

I am not very clear about this trade off involved between speed/memory
and flexibility.
First I would like to be clear on whether its possible or not to have
kernel like modules
in userspace.

> > Can I get pointers to some documentation or code which deals with how
> > exactly these new DSO's are loaded and how these newly added
> > modules come to life ? and why there is need for restarting Apache
> > when we add or modify any module ?
>
> Use the Source, Luke.  server/*.c and modules/mappers/mod_so.c should
> be interesting to you.
Thanx,
I will surely go through them to see how it is done currently.

--
Regards,
Pravin Shinde