I keep telling everyone, NO, I didn't! The error was SOLELY caused by the presence of the piped Customlog directives using rotatelogs.exe. When I comment those out, regardless what editor I use, the problem goes away. I only began having this problem AFTER I first tried to add those directives, and it continues until after I comment them out.

Mark

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Syntax error on line 1 of http.conf: invalid command \xff\xfe#
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 08:10:52 AM

You edited it in utf-8.  I hacked this long ago to ignore the leading
bytes but it looks like you might have corrupted them (it's supposed to
be a three byte sequence, and somehow you'd truncated it to two bytes?)

Mark A. Craig wrote:
I have a rather bizarre httpd.conf error with Apache 2.2 on Windows
2000; I attempted to make some rather simple edits to the logfile
portion of it, and now when I test, start,or restart the server I get
the following error displayed in the console (DOS) window:

Syntax error on line 1 of C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command '\xff\xfe#', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration

What the heck is going on?  Not only did I not edit the first line, all
it contains is the standard comment line that has been there all along.

Mark Craig