On 9/21/07, James Sherwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My understanding if you dont have that directive the max is 250.
>
> I have tried hitting it with 1000 concurrent connections and it does not
> throw a server too busy error.

See the ListenBacklog directive.

Apache does not send a nicely-formatted html error page saying "Server
Too Busy". The basic reasoning is that, if there were resources free
to send that page, why not send what the browser requested instead.
When MaxClients is hit, apache simply doesn't accept more connections.
They are kept in the ListenBacklog and the overflow is simply
rejected.

If you really want a "Server Too Busy" message, there are some third
party modules that can do it. I haven't personally used any of them.
See: http://modules.apache.org/

Joshua.