Hi Daniel,

This is what the Alias directive is for:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_alias.html#alias

Regards,
Jesse Ross

Daniel Yaÿfffffffffff1ez wrote:
Hello everyone, I have been trying to make this work but so far I havent been
able to successfully load an image (or other media file) that is in a folder
outside the root of my domain. I initially wanted to do this in order to be
able to deliver this images from code running inside my serer, but to prevent
people from linking directly to the image (or file) using the address bar
(example: http://www.fakedomain.com/images/image1.jpg).

I know it might be possible to achieve this using an .htaccess but I heard they are a little bit unsecure plus the slow down the server. (in the apache website they reccomend not using it).
My problem is that whenever I try to link to an image outise the root it simply
will not work. For example lets say my fictional root folder is this one:
www/var/public_html/    and lets just say the index of my website then is this:
   www/var/public_html/index.html   now lets just say I want to put my images
in a folder located outside the root, like this:    www/images/image1.jpg etc.
I should be able to link to the image like this from my index.html file:
../images/image1.jpg but it doesnt work. Ive tried several combinations but
nothing seems to work.

My question to you guys is if you know what apache setting needs to be turned on (or off) to enable this? or how should I link to images outside the root.
Thanks in advanced and I hope anyone here can help me because I have looked in
a lot of places with no success. Thanks again !!!