Hey-

   I ran LVS for about 5 years, mostly while it was in its infancy. We do over
a billion hits a year, and I had it running on VERY small machines, heading 4
others with many Vhosts. It cost a couple of grand for the two boxes.

  The result of this was proof that we needed the solution, and we should
invest money in it.

  A couple of years ago, we replaced the LVS boxes with F5's. The F5's are
linux based, and get the job done quite well. It's going to cost about 30k+ to
get involved though. They have been doing the job quite well ever since, and
route about 30 virts to various backend devices.

http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html