Yes, that would avoid the problem, the old version of Rails actually did it that way, they changed it in version 1.2.

The downside is that my URLs often have spaces in them and need to be e-mailed around and the '+' sign looks so much prettier than the %20

For now I just avoid the use of '+' in any url but I would really like a more elegant solution since it requires me to filter user input in quite a few places.
jm