we have use NFS for a few farms here with simiar setup. rsync is between the
dev boxes and NFS servers only.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peter Milanese
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 2:28 PM
  Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web Farm Ideas

  Greetings-

      I am coming up with ideas for building a new farm. We currently run CF
and Apache on a bunch of decent sized boxes, headed by a set of F5's. We have
an isolated Dev Environment. The current framework for putting stuff into
production is homegrown, and in need of an overhaul, I just want to see if
there is something out there to assist, or if our model is wrong at this point.
We do a bit over a billion hits per annum.  Now, I would like to brainstorm
architectural changes.

  Workflow as it is now:

  Developer works on dedicated dev server->

  Developer goes to web interface in order to select items to go into
production (php/rsync) ->

  Submit process "stages" selected files (copies them into a local heirarchy) ->

  Cron syncs that local "staging area" to the production servers.

  How do larger organizations do this?
  How are uploads handled?
  Shared storage?

  I think I'm just looking for other ideas.

  Any input would be great.

  Thanks