On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:20:51AM +0100, Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> hi
> I configured apache2 to enable deflate module.
>
> to disable this option, do i only need to comment it
> in httpd.conf?
> or should i do the configuration again?

Hey Melanie,

Disabling it in the config will do. Do not
forget to disable the SetOutputFilter or AddOutputFilterByType
directives and extended logging in case you use that.
Afterwards, test your config with "apachectl configtest"
(or httpd -t) and then do a restart of the server
(graceful restart is enough to reload the config).

To check mod_deflate is really disabled, issue requests
in your browser and check the traffic with tcpdump or
any other means.

On a linux system, run the following for a port 80 server:
tcpdump  -A -s 0 port 80

then watch out for the following response headers:

        Vary: Accept-Encoding

regs,

Christian