On Tuesday 16 October 2007 2:58 pm, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Tony Heal wrote:
> > I am using apache v 1.3.34-4.1 and openssl on Debian and I have set up
> > SSL, Although I can restart apache using the init script without issue I
> > get prompted for a pass phrase if I stop and start apache. This is a
> > problem if I have a power loss as apache will wait in the background
> > until it receives a pass phrase. Is there a way around this without
> > regenerating the server.key?
>
> AFAIK there is no way around this.  If you do not want Apache to wait for
> a pass phrase, you have to strip the private key of encryption.  This of
> course has multiple security problems, but I'm afraid those are your only
> options that I am aware of.
>
> $ openssl rsa -in encryptedkey.pem -out strippedkey.pem
>
> --
> Aaron Dalton
> http://perlkonig.com

<CLIP>

If I understand what you're after, try the following:

1. Create a shell script called "ssl-pass" (or whatever you choose).  Add the
following line to it:
echo "mypasphrase"
using your passphrase, of course;

2. Add "SSLPassPhraseDialog exec:/pathto/ssl-pass" t httpd.conf.

(N.B. quotes are for clarity except where used with the echo command.)

You should now not be prompted for the phrase when you start apache.

HTH.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.