Thanks Joshua. That didn't work for some reason but it led me to trying some similar things out, and I ended up with a solution which excludes certain IP addresses from the authentication process, which should work fine for us as an alternative to excluding certain URLs:

<Location />
  Order deny,allow
  Deny from all
  Allow from 1.2.3.4