All our other LAMP setups are using RHEL4/5, but I have one PHP based app which uses some Windows middleware, and thus we are using Apache for Windows.
Can you configure, or rewrite, the PHP app to call the Windows middleware remotely? That might be the easiest solution.
That is an idea I already have - to somehow implement it as a web
service.  I think it depends on the workload required - whether it is
more time to do this, source an alternative middleware app, or rewrite
the whole thing in .net and rely on Microsoft security updates :).
Some of our systems run in Windows and we connect to them as a service. The most important of these is a commercial app that works with IIS to expose itself (woo) with an XML interface which we then wrap and expose as XML-RPC. It's not as stable as our LAMP servers but it is reasonably robust. If it's an in-house middleware app then I'd probably suggest a more lightweight solution and just write your own network interface. Rewriting the whole app is probably not needed.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply