I just tried to build apache 2.2.6 from scratch.

I, for various reasons of wanting to keep apache separate from other things, for example, to virtualize my apache users, prefer everything in a single dir -- so the ports route isn't for me.

Because apr-db42 had been installed as part of a subversion requirement (not sure why), it caused my apache build to look in nonexistent places for libraries.

%apr-1-config --apr-libtool
/usr/local/build-1/libtool

(the above path doesn't even exist)

To fix this (and not break the svn port), I resorted to using --with-included-apr. The build THEN failed, claiming it could not find the installed expat libraries, in an error exactly like what this gentleman had:

http://www.zulustips.com/2007/10/06/problems-compiling-apache-226-on-freebsd-62.html#more-54

And in fact, this apache developer had the same issue:

(search the page for "wtf")

Like them, I had an installed expat, and had it listed in ldconfig -r (I also note there's a libexpat in /usr/src but don't know what it's there for).

(I did not copy my errors because I thought I had found a solution, but it's the same error, I assure you).

After that,

I tried resorting to building apache with --with-expat=builtin

I then got THIS error:

/home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o htpasswd htpasswd.lo -lm /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/pcre/libpcre.la /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr/libapr-1.la -lcrypt -lpthread /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr-util/.libs/libaprutil-1.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_open' /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr-util/.libs/libaprutil-1.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_close' /home/danm/httpd-2.2.6/srclib/apr-util/.libs/libaprutil-1.so: undefined reference to `libiconv'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home5/danm/httpd-2.2.6/support.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home5/danm/httpd-2.2.6/support.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home5/danm/httpd-2.2.6.
prime#

So that's it. I don't know how to fix this one -- and if it's upgrading my libiconv will fix it (but will require me to upgrade every program -- both binary and port) that depends on it, I'm willing, but pkg_info -f -g libiconv-1.9.2_2 reports no mismatched checksums (which implies to me that the libraries should have the functions that the header files are there).

If you need more info, please let me know.

I had to do the upgrade-everything dance a few weeks ago because something broke libintl -- I for a few moments blamed it that problem, but other people, on other production systems are having these issues. I'm not about to do it again just to get a newer libiconv when I don't think that's the problem.

pkg_info -f -g apr-db42-1.2.7_1

[snip]

Mismatched Checksums:
pkg_info: /usr/local/build-1/apr_rules.mk doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/build-1/libtool doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/build-1/make_exports.awk doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/build-1/make_var_export.awk doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/build-1/mkdir.sh doesn't exist

If this is a bug in apache, please let me know and I'll file major bug reports there. If on the other hand, the behavior documented by the ports installing files that report wrong locations, ldconfig reporting libraries that cannot be found, and the like, please let me know and I'll open (one or several) FreeBSD bugs. It's clear from the searching I've been doing for several hours now that I'm not the only person having these issues.

Also, my uptime is nearly a year, which makes me a little old:

Uname: FreeBSD prime.gushi.org 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE

But I'm loathe to fully cvsup, buildworld, and reboot on a production system unless we're sure it will do something (and I'm not at all sure it will).

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan Mahoney
(With a Migraine)

--