Van: Jan van den Berg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Verzonden: dinsdag 13 november 2007 17:27
Aan: users@httpd.apache.org
Onderwerp: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Creating a DSO module using apxs

Because of some old decision we run a Linux Apache webserver with
mod_frontpage (don't get me started).
This module isn't officially supported anymore (rtr.com); however I
still have the sources and I am trying to compile a new .so from this.

This ordeal is driving me nuts: so I'm looking for some feedback (this
might be the wrong list but it might also not be).

According to the docs I should call apxs as follows in order to compile
the module:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] apache2]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs -c mod_frontpage.c
mod_fpcgid.c

/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc
-prefer-pic  -DAP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_GNU_SOURCE -g -O2 -pthread -I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include
-I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include   -I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include
-c -o mod_frontpage.lo mod_frontpage.c && touch mod_frontpage.slo

/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc
-prefer-pic  -DAP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_GNU_SOURCE -g -O2 -pthread -I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include
-I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include   -I/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/include
-c -o mod_fpcgid.lo mod_fpcgid.c && touch mod_fpcgid.slo

/usr/local/apache-2.0.61/build/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -o
mod_frontpage.la  -rpath /usr/local/apache-2.0.61/modules -module
-avoid-version    mod_fpcgid.lo mod_frontpage.lo

Pretty straight forward. However at this point a mod_frontpage.so file
should have been created but this isn't the case. So something goes
wrong here: I have a bunch of .la, .lo, .slo, .a (static archive ?!) and
obviously .o files; but no .so file. The last link command has as
option: -o mod_frontpage.la so it makes sense that this would be the
output file. But somewhere along these lines a mod_frontpage.so should
be created according to the README.
Also the httpd docs: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/apxs.html
state this.
And this 'real-life' example (see the 'typical session' output)
indicates that running apxs -c should create a .so file:
http://www.topology.org/src/bwshare/README.html#dso

I've searched trough the apxs script the libtool script and the
instdso.sh script to see what exactly happens 'underneath' but this
didn't help me.

Im not a DSO expert (though I learned more about DSO the last couple of
days than I wanted to know about it).
And Im not looking for alternatives to mod_frontpage or workarounds; I
just want some pointers what might be wrong with my setup (compiler
settings, apxs etc) that I can look at. Or just a little bit more about
apxs inner workings that will get me in the right direction.
I have a feeling I might be some environment variable (like setting
LDFLAGS and adding /usr/local/apache2/includes to the /etc/ld.so.conf
file: which I both already did among other things without any result).

So please any constructive ideas are welcome!

Cheers,

Jan