On 11/12/2007, Hiep Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> thanks.  couple more questions:
>
> how do i install/enable mod_status so i can use apachectl status?

I don't remember exactly. There's either going to be a specific config
file for it in /etc/httpd/conf.d or else you should search
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for server-status.

> where is the apache test page?  i don't see anything in /var/www/html/.

You should remove /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf and restart the
server. That's what's showing the centos start page.

> i noticed /var/www/html/ is root. am i suppose to upload anything to this
> folder using root account? if not what account do i use to upload?

This really depends on what you need to serve. If you just want to
serve a few static resources then putting things in that directory
should be fine. On the other hand if you want multiple sites then
you'll need to learn about virtual hosts and settle on a directory
layout (pretty much everyone has their own preferred way). You should
also chown that directory so you can work in it without needing root,
or create a web authoring group etc.

> also, what account do i use to start up httpd service?

Root. It's always necessary to be root to start services which listen
on network ports <=1024.

> right now, i login as root and execute apachectrl start, but i would like
> to automatic start up this service during boot.

chkconfig httpd on

> as you know, i'm a newbie to apache.

We all were once :-)

--