Hello,

there is no such line in /etc/hosts, unfortunately:

"##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost "

My IP is recieved through DHCP, so I'm not sure if it's permanent? As for the advice regarding setting my computer name in the System Preferences pane, I have already done that, but it doesn't seem to affect the \u in terminal.

Here's a shot in the dark.

The file /etc/hosts most probably has a line containing host-xx-xxx- xx-xxx, associating the host name with an IP address, looking somewhat like this:

10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx

Edit that line and add laptop:

10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx laptop

I think that should do the trick. In order to permanently change the hostname, I believe you would need to modify the file /etc/ hostname and/or /etc/nodename. You would need root privileges for that.

-ascs

Regards,

Hans