On Dec 22, 2007 10:55 PM, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2007 2:27 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I came across this http://httpd.apache.org/related_projects.html:
>
> > This info is seriously outdated, as neither stronghold nor raven are
> > available anymore, and the RSA patent is at this point long expired.
> > (This page also makes no mention of mod_ssl).
>
> You'll notice that this page isn't linked from anywhere.

I have to respectfully disagree here.  The original poster came across them
somehow, so it's linked from *somewhere*.

> You run a certain risk when you do random google searches and expect
> the result to be authoritative. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a
> "This page is obsolete" message at the top, but it shouldn't be
> causing problems in any case.
>
> Joshua.

It isn't unreasonable to expect that a document from a
http.apache.orgaddress to be authoritative.  It is one thing to look
at a search result
from some random blog, but this is apache.org, a domain that should be *most
*authoritative about apache.

Documentation should be as accurate and clean as any code.  If there is an
obscure bug that only affects a very small percentage of people, it is
reasonable to expect that the code be fixed to maintain a certain level of
quality for the project overall.  Just because it "shouldn't cause any
problems" doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.  The page should be fixed or
deleted.

--Victor

--
http://www.victortrac.com