Aha! that's the "additional config directives interfering with your
setup"... You didn't mention you had a DirectoryIndex directive
somewhere...

What's happening is:

- Apache gets request for dir3
- DirectoryIndex tells it to look for index.php
- FileMatch block matches index.php and so triggers a 403

> seems to be enough for the access to be
> denied :-\ Strange
> behavior.

That's a matter of opinion - I guess you are expecting it only to block
the PHP file if it exists. But that would mean that apache would have to
stat the file (ie, expensive file operation) even though it knows that
it is going to deny access anyway. That seems pretty pointless in the
general case so it just sends the 403 straight away, before it wastes
time looking up the file.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> regards,
> Marc

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in
error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the
message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy
any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.