Dear Experts,

Would anyone like to share any strategies for blocking forum spam and similar nastiness?

I have a couple of forums which were totally filled with spam when I was once on holiday. When I got back I had to take them down for ages to clean them up, and then added a "captcha" mechanism to prevent further attacks. This seems to have worked (fingers crossed). However, I still see vast numbers of attempted attacks: so much so that these accesses dominate the sites' bandwidth usage. It's not a huge problem at present, but it's clear that e.g. a ten-fold increase could easily happen overnight and would start to get expensive.

I've also started to see sites that just download large files over and over again, and I'm writing this message now because an address in Indonesia has downloaded one largish file 1664 times in the last two hours. Again, the bandwith is not yet a problem, but I think I need to do something - or at least know what I could do - before it becomes one.

I guess that the accesses come from "botnets" of compromised Windows machines. The IP addresses that I have checked look like DSL lines.

So, I was wondering whether there are IP blocklists that I could apply - that strategy seems to work well for email. But there are a few obstacles:

- For email filtering, the prevalent view seems to be to not identify individual compromised home computers, but rather to block the entire IP ranges of DSL providers. This is fine for email but obviously isn't appropriate for the web.

- For email, the latency of doing a DNS blocklist lookup per connection is acceptable. But for a web server, latency is more undesirable. I imagine that it would be satisfactory to reject connections only if they were blocked by a locally cached blocklist entry, and to check new connections in the background.

- Finally, I don't see any support for this sort of thing in Apache.

Perhaps people have other strategies?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Phil.