This is for mod_auth_ldap ?

He means the "proxy" user who does all of the attribute:value looks in
LDAP.  Normally the "proxy" user is a "meta" user identity in LDAP --
with limited search functionality and a nice strong password.

Store the password in SHA1+Base64 in the Apache config file.

Enforce that security

You should be able to use the OpenLDAP libraries / routines to put your
SHA/Cleartext passwords in a configuration file in user www's $HOME
somehow (a la, ~/.netrc)

You can then protect that file with POSIX permissions.

Check with OpenLDAP.  This is what the PADL stuff does.

~BAS