Using HTTPD 2.0.x on OS X and Linux, with mod_proxy setup as a frontend for a dozen of Java applications (Jetty server instances more specifically) running on the same machine as HTTPD. mod_proxy config for each Java instance looks similar to this:

   ProxyPass /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/
   ProxyPassReverse /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/

Everything works fine except when restarting Java instances. After a restart I keep getting "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable" responses for up to 20-30 seconds, until finally mod_proxy detects a live instance. I understand that mod_proxy caches a previous down status of an instance, and does not refresh for some time. Is there a way to configure a smaller refresh interval or avoid instance status caching all together?

Thanks,
Andrus Adamchik