On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Grant Peel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Joshua,
>
>  So, If I am reading that docs correctly, the bit I have to deny certain USer
>  Agents should go near the top of my httpd.conf?
>
>  SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^IDBot" block_bad_bots
>  SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^$" block_bad_bots
>  SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "Java/1.4.1_04" block_bad_bots
>
>  <Directory "/">
>       Order Allow,Deny
>       Allow from all
>       Deny from env=block_bad_bots
>  </Directory>

It doesn't matter where in httpd.conf that it goes. But this will only
work if you have NO OTHER Order/Allow/Deny statements in httpd.conf.
Since <Directory /> is essentially the first thing evaluated
(regardless of its location) it will get overridden by any other
access control directives. This isn't a problem unless you have some
generic
<Directory /var/web>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
sections which will turn off your anti-robot rules.

Joshua.