Clayton Dillard wrote:
All,
    Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

After a fresh boot (or a reboot) our Apache server returns pages very quickly to the client browser. We are running SugarCRM and the response time is usually around .29 seconds. This high performance lasts for some unpredictable period of time. Then we start seeing page response times of around 1.3 to 2.5 seconds.

Not to overstate the obvious, but before you start exploring software bottlenecks, are you sure there's no hardware bottleneck? Swapping, for example, is pretty nasty to everyone running on the machine...

  Issac