Chad Jones wrote:
> I posted this earlier and never received a response.  I'm was hoping if
> I post it again I might have better luck. :)
> Thank You.
> Chad.
>
> */Chad Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:
>
>     I'm brand new to Apache and pretty confused.  I hope my question is a
>     simple one.  I'd really like to know the fundamental difference
>     between AddHandler, AddType and ForceType.  I have read the Apache
>     documentation located here:
>
>     http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html
>
>     However it isn't clear for example why I should choose one over the
>     other for configuration.  What's the difference?  Perhaps I'm so new
>     to Apache that I just really don't get it.
>
>     On some webpages I see directives like:
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>
>     On others it is like this:
>     AddHandler php-script .php .htm .html
>
>     Still other pages where the suggestion is to use both of the above.
>     Which of these is right?  I have also read on one page that AddType is
>     wrong and AddHandler is right but why?
>
>     Not only that but I think  AddType is using the MIME type
> application/x-httpd-php which I don't think is even a valid mime type
> according to iana who I believe is the authority on MIME types:
>
>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
>
>     I also ran across another page from someone who seemed very
>     knowledgable on the subject who suggested to use ForceType if I want
> a  certain named file without an extension to be handled as PHP:
>
>     <Files download>
>     ForceType application/x-httpd-php
>     </Files>
>
>     I'd really like to know what the difference is here and why I should
>     pick one other the other?  I'm not someone who does the whole "try it
>     and if it works great" I'd rather configure Apache right the first
>     time rather then configure it now and then find out later its not
>     configured properly and have to go and fix it.  That is do it right
>     the first time...

I think the best you can do is first thinking about what you want.
Render php pages with apache? Manage some files in a certain way? Work
at level of server configuration or at level of directories or files?
Etc... This way you'll understand better the apache-doc and the ML will
help you easier.

   Iñigo

--
--------