On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Raja Nagendra Kumar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi Joshua,
>
>  This is  a suprise to me that apache does not support proxy of any thing
>  other than http and ftp trafic. Are u sure on this. I am under the
>  assumption that I don't know how to configure apache as proxy for any trafic
>  i.e socket based proxying.
>
>  If Jashua is correct, are they any plugins to apache so that it
>  tunnells/proxies any other traffic. I am assuming proxying socket based is
>  foundation for http and ftp proxying.. So, I am hopeful that this should be
>  there in apache..

Question: what exactly do you want your proxy to do with smtp traffic?
If you just want it passed through (which your comment about sockets
suggests), then all you need is port forwarding. Any decent OS will do
this for you, so there is no need of a special app.

If you want the proxy server to manipulate the smtp traffic, then you
really need an smtp server on the proxy server. There are lots of good
ones out there. I suggest postfix.

Joshua.