I asked this a couple of days ago, but have not seen any replies to
it. If this is not the correct forum to ask such questions, could
someone direct me to a more appropriate one?

Essentially, we have a need to serve pages from user home filestore,
where;

- The home filestore is on a Windows filesystem, visible via CIFS.

- The location of a given user's home filestore is stored in their
 Active Directory object as a UNC path.

- There is no single path that could access any user's filestore
 simply by substituting a wildcard with the username.

 i.e. //server/share/*/public_html is not a viable approach, because
 server and share will not be the same for all users. We don't think
 we can resolve this with DFS.

- The number of users involved is large (1000's).

We had assumed that to get this to work, apache itself would have to
be running on windows, but this is incidental. If apache on some other
platform can do the above, we're interested.

We're currently doing the equivalent with netware filestore, and
apache on netware, and are keen to retain this ability as we move to a
windows backend and windows filestore.

Any advice gratefully received...

Mike
--
Mike Sandells
The University of Liverpool - Computing Services Department