Adam Martin wrote:
If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one IP Address? I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn’t sure what to look for. Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router configured with some type of forwarding? How do I prevent this device from becoming a single point of failure? I know these questions are not Apache specific, at least I don’t think they, but after being a member of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise on this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction. I am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start to start looking or which documentation I should look at. Thanks.

One (open source) solution would be to use an LVS load balancing server (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org) to do the load balancing. If you want high availability (no single point of failure in the load balancer) couple LVS with heartbeat (http://www.linux-ha.org), so that if your active load balancer fails, the inactive load balancer takes over.

There is a learning curve with both those technologies, so if you don't have much time (or even if you do), it might be worth a visit to http://www.ultramonkey.org, Simon Horman's project site, in which he supplies prebuilt packages to combine LVS and heartbeat together.