I'm not familiar with the Windows side, however it is effectively separate
daemon processes that can be stopped and started independently.  Remember that
you need to over ride the /etc/init.d/functions killproc if you use symlinks
for the binaries (there are pros and cons to this).  Here is the code we use in
our /etc/init.d/$NEW_APACHE scripts to make sure it doesn't kill all the Apache
instances running.

# A function to stop a program.
killproc() {
        RC=0; delay=3
        # Test syntax.
        if [ "$#" -eq 0 ]; then
                echo $"Usage: killproc [ -d delay] {program} [signal]"
                return 1
        fi
        if [ "$1" = "-d" ]; then
                delay=$2
                shift 2
        fi

        notset=0
        # check for second arg to be kill level
        if [ -n "$2" ]; then
                killlevel=$2
        else
                notset=1
                killlevel="-9"
        fi

        # Save basename.
        base=${1##*/}

        # Find pid.
        pid=
        if [ -f $pidfile ]; then
                local line p
                read line < $pidfile
                for p in $line ; do
                        [ -z "${p//[0-9]/}" -a -d "/proc/$p" ] && pid="$pid $p"
                done
        fi

        # Kill it.
        if [ -n "${pid:-}" ] ; then
                [ "$BOOTUP" = "verbose" -a -z "$LSB" ] && echo -n "$base "
                if [ "$notset" -eq "1" ] ; then
                       if checkpid $pid 2>&1; then
                           # TERM first, then KILL if not dead
                           kill -TERM $pid >/dev/null 2>&1
                           usleep 100000
                           if checkpid $pid && sleep 1 &&
                              checkpid $pid && sleep $delay &&
                              checkpid $pid ; then
                                kill -KILL $pid >/dev/null 2>&1
                                usleep 100000
                           fi
                        fi
                        checkpid $pid
                        RC=$?
                        NUM=`ps -ef | grep $prog | grep -v "grep" | grep -v
"service" | grep -v "init.d" | wc -l`
                        if [ $NUM -gt 0 ]; then
                                failure $" shutdown"
                                echo
                                ps -ef | grep $prog | grep -v "grep" | grep -v
"service" | grep -v "init.d"
                                echo
                        else
                                [ "$RC" -eq 0 ] && failure $"$base shutdown" ||
success $"$base shutdown"
                        fi
                        [ "$RC" -eq 0 ] && failure $"$base shutdown" || success
$"$base shutdown"
                        RC=$((! $RC))
                # use specified level only
                else
                        if checkpid $pid; then
                                kill $killlevel $pid >/dev/null 2>&1
                                RC=$?
                                [ "$RC" -eq 0 ] && success $"$base $killlevel"
|| failure $"$base $killlevel"
                        fi
                fi
        else