We have some PHP web sites set up to authenticate users via Cosign using the AuthGroupFile and Require group directives, with groups and users defined in an .htaccess file

I'm setting up a new site that will have 1000+ users over time. I understand that the single .htaccess file is not the best way to do authentication with a large group of users. What methods are other admins out there using to authenticate large groups of users?

As background, we run a single server running Apache 2.x, Cosign 2.x, MySQL 5.x on Mac OSX Server 10.5.2. We previously used the Zope application server which handled our authentication/authorization for us, so this is new territory for me.

Thank you!

--
Chris Africa
Web Project Manager