On May 30, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

Jim Jagielski wrote:
On May 29, 2008, at 5:38 PM, andrzej wrote:
Hi,

module mod_proxy_balancer can make decision basing on volume of traffic or number of requests. How, for example, this volume is counted? Is it counted from the time server starts (hope not) or maybe it is counted in 10 minutes period (after 10 minutes values read and transfered are reset and counted from zero)? Where/how can I change this time?
It is counted after each request... that each, the counters are
updated with info after each request.

They are not "reset" or "aged" for a number of reasons:

 1. The overhead associated with it. Esp something like what
    is done in mod_jk...
 2. Validity: LBs try to maintain an overall average. If
    you occasionally "reset" then you lose knowledge of
    the past and so you are only averaging over smaller
    time-periods... It's like the difference in tracking
    stocks short-term rather than long-term. LB is a long
    term action.

The only reason I can see for some kind of "reset" is to
avoid overflow, but even then you don't want to "reset" to
0 but rather do a uniform normalization.

Why is the current behavior bad and why do you want to change
it?
I've not experimented with it, but the session-based load balancing in the latest mod_jk's looks attractive.

I plan on, once 2.2.9 is out, adding my bytime algo before
looking at whether bybusyness and/or bysession is viable for
httpd. ;)