nick wrote:
> Jonathan H N Chin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Using debian's apache 2.0.54 and 2.2.3, I define a filter:
> >
> >     ExtFilterDefine test \
> >             mode=output intype=text/html \
> >             cmd="/usr/bin/perl -pe 's/foo/bar/g'"
>
> Presumably that's just illustrative (if that's what you want
> to do, then using ext_filter for it is a terrible solution).

Yes.

> > I use it with:
> >     DocumentRoot /export/www
> >     <Directory /export/www>
> >             Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> >     </Directory>
> >     <Location />
> >             SetOutputFilter test
> >     </Location>
>
> As a general rule, using <Location> with local contents
> is a bad idea, and may not work as expected.  That could
> be your problem here, though I'm not sure.

I'm afraid I have no idea what "local contents" means here.
Please do expand (or point me to the relevant docs).

> > If I GET http://server/test.html, the substitution happens.
> > However, if I GET http://server/test, it does not.
> > What do I need to do to make substitution also work with
> > content negotiation?

If I change "Location" to "Directory" the substitution occurs.

However, in either case mod_info/mod_status then fail.
Given:

        <Location /info>
                SetHandler server-info
        </Location>
        <Location /status>
                SetHandler server-status
        </Location>

when I GET http://server/info or GET http://server/status,
I just get back an empty page.

When I remove the SetOutputFilter, info/status work again.

> See the mod_filter documentation for better filter control.

mod_filter doesn't seem to exist in 2.0.54 ?
I need something that works with both 2.0 and 2.2.

-jonathan

--
   Jonathan H N Chin     | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | systems manager | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508