I found it finally. I installed VisualSVNServer on my PC and it worked despite being based on Apache 2.2.8. So I combed through the httpd.conf files to determine what was different. The difference that proved to be the answer was that Win32DisableAcceptEx had to be specified for this computer, and for some reason no errors were being logged by Apache.

Mark Murphy wrote:
Is there something with Windows XP Media Center that will cause Apache 2.2 to hang? I have tried the base 2.2.8 windows installer taking all the defaults, and it will not serve a page, it just hangs. I tried installing Zend Core with it's preconfigured Apache 2.2.4 server, it hangs. I tried installing Apache 2.0.63, from apache.org with a default install, and it works fine. Does anyone know of something that conflicts with apache 2.2 that does not conflict with Apache 2.0?

http://www.eset.com