Agnello George wrote:

On 6/26/08, Res <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, John Hicks wrote:
>
> > Remember that Apache only reads its configuration once, when it is started
> up, so the additional processing is minimal.
> >

> But what would be the impact, like reading one 20K httpd.conf and one 300K
> vhosts.conf file, or 2000 separate files, the latter seems like a lot of
> extra work, sure it might be negligible for a hundred or so odd hosts, but > what about when you have thousands, I'd think the additional I/O would add
> tremendously to stop/start/restart times at least.
>
> It is really trivial to write a perl script to add/delete vhost blocks.

The only viable option would be storing , vhost directive in a DB , but i really have not found any one in the industry that has tried this method. I was able to find a workaround for storing vhost in DB ( http://develobert.blogspot.com/2007/12/database-storage-of-apache-virtual.html ). But the thing with this every time a small change to the DB i have to restart / graceful restart Apache.
 You have to restart when you make changes anyway...

For Lighthttpd there is a MySQL-virtual-hosting module available .( http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs#Optionsformod_mysql_vhost-Mysqlvirtualhostingmodule ) But i cannot find any such module for Apache 2.2.8. <http://2.2.8.> ... and ideas here ?? Also storing vhsot in separate conf file is OK for couple of hundred domains, but for a web hosting company having 1000 + domains on each server , i guess separate file cause problem in, 1) editing the separate files through scripts 2) graceful restart would also create a problem on the server

--

सादर
Agnello Dsouza

--