John A Parker wrote:

I can see where this is an acknowledged issue fixed in apr-1.3.2. What I can't find anywhere is how to incorporate this updated apr into my apache build.

Can anyone provide "detailed" directions for me on how to accomplish this?

two choices;

1) build and install 1.3.2 apr, then apr-util, then httpd.  Seperately.

2) unpack the contents of the 1.3.2 apr and apr-util tarballs on top of your
   httpd-2.2.9/srclib/ directories of the name name (be sure you don't keep
   the -1.3.2 designations, but use the naked apr/ and apr-util/ dir names)