Bonger,

Are you using Apache with the Worker MPM?  If so, that could be your
problem.  It is fairly well documented and highly discussed that the Worker
MPM on *nix is not a good combination, as explained here:
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2.
The problem is not the PHP core itself, but the third-party libraries that
may not be thread-safe.  According to the link above, this is of much less
concern to those using Windows.  But perhaps it's worth a try to switch to
the Prefork MPM and see if the symtpoms disappear.

Cheers,

Rich