Chris Arnold wrote:
>Does the webmail application reside on a physically different machine
>with a different IP address?
Yes.

>?If so, the easiest (and best) way to do that is via proper DNS and
>routing to the right machine for each application. Why would you want
>to have Apache do what your router should be doing?
Unless i am missing something and i surely am not a routing guru, we have 1 ip address and the inside systems are NAT'ed. So, the first entry in the firewall policy points to the webserver (the webmail system does not run on this server); therefore, ALL port 80 request goto the first entry, which is the webserver. So, knowing this, i was trying to have the webserver redirect that request to another/different server with a different ip.

OK, if I understand you correctly...

I see you having two options.

You can configure your router/fire wall to route the traffic to the individual servers behind the fire wall, (if this is possible, it is the BEST way to do it IMO). This means that port 80 traffic for webmail.example.com should go to the web mail server and all other port 80 traffic to the web server. Most routers intended for business/professional use allow you to do just this sort of thing. If you are using one intended for the consumer market, all bets are off as to whether it supports such a configuration.

Your other option is that you can set up a reverse proxy to serve the web mail, though this results in additional internal network traffic as the requests and responses will be sent twice in both directions (from router to proxy, from proxy to webmail and then back again).

Dragon