Hello list,

I have a strange problem with my httpd daemon and hopefully somebody can help me. I'm running a Apache 2.0.49 on a Suse 9.1 and have the mod_axis2 deployed. Inside
Axis2 I'm running a service which is queried every ten seconds.

After running for some hours, sometimes 2, sometimes 4, sometimes more I always got a exception: Too many open files. The exception is not written to the error log, it is the return value of my service. I also have no entry at the corresponding time in my access.log,
so I think it is thrown before the service is accessed.

I searched through the list and found, that normally the solution is to increase the limit
of open files. So I added in /etc/security/limits.conf
*  soft    nofile  8192
*  hard    nofile  50000
logged out and in again.

For my understanding this should increase the number of open files for every user. Nevertheless, this don't changed the behaviour. I always got the exception. So I also
added ulimit -n 8192 to my init script, which shows the same behaviour.

I also monitored the number of open files on the system. It is always about 2000 - much less then I have declared in the configuration. The httpd daemon normally has 10 process and every process has opened about 90 - 95 files. So I'm also not on the configured limit.

Has anybody some idea what I'm doing wrong or how I can solve the problem?

Kind regards
Michael