Jason Pruim wrote:
On Sep 11, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Jason Pruim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Here is my .htaccess file... Does it look right?

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteLog /var/log/purl.virt.rewrite.log

is this valdi in .htaccess?

My guess is no since it's not working...

Log directives cannot be used in .htaccess files (it could be a potential security hole to allow a user to specify their own logs, hammer the site with requests, then fill up a partition). Normally you would receive a 500 error code and a message in the apache error logging stating the directory is not allowed. You can, however, just leave it in the global/virtualhost apache config.

RewriteLogLevel 9

where's RewriteBase?

I thought that rewritebase was optional?

It is optional. It all depends on your setup/usage as to whether you need to use it.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /p.php [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

You're not capturing or passing anything, and how do you get to mail.php?

after you load purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112 there will be a link to http://purl.schreurprinting.com/mail.php?purl=jasonpruim112

The basic premise I have been working off of is just simply if the file exists, let that file handle serving the page, if it DOESN"T exist pass it to p.php to handle it.

So with that understanding I don't think that I need to capture anything in the rewritecond's other then if the file exists correct?

You shouldn't have to worry about capturing any query string since you are performing an internal rewrite (the URL stays the same for the user). Referring back to your other email (which I mistakenly nuked already)...

That is odd.... I moved the rewrite rules to a .htaccess file and now the real links work right, but the false links don't go into my handeler script... in other words http://purl.schreurprinting.com/mail.php?purl=jasonpruim112 works but http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112 does NOT...

So there is no file/directory called jasonpruim112 <http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112>, correct? I copied your .htaccess file (removing the RewriteLog* references) and it correctly rewrites the URL request for /jasonpruim112 <http://purl.schreurprinting.com/jasonpruim112> to p.php. Is this not what you are seeing?

--
Justin Pasher