On 10/7/08, Kynn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
> ... SNIP ...
> In retrospect, I wish there had been an easier way for me to inspect the
> requests sent by each browser.  I asked our sysadmin if there was a way to
> configure Apache temporarily (i.e. only for debugging purposes) to record
> all requests verbatim, but he did not know how to do this.
>
> What browser-independent Apache tools are there for this type of analysis?
> ... SNIP ...
> TIA!
> Kynn

I do not know any Apache tools for troubleshooting network
communications.  Others may have suggestions.

Network sniffers|analyzers and tools for Windows and/or *nix
tcpdump (*nix): logs all communications.
WireShark (forked from Ethereal): logs/analyzes all communications
telnet (*nix): Talk to any port.
ssh (*nix): Talk to any port including encryption.
Hyperterminal: Windows standard telnet program.
putty: Windows client for telnet and ssh.

The (poorly-named for enterprises) WireShark is probably best to see
every communication -- includes ACKs and other control packets so you
should understand (or will quickly learn) the intricacies of TCP/IP.
WireShark logs every communication so filter by IP Address and packet
type to isolate relevant communications.

ssh (for *nix) and putty (for Windows) let you specify a port and type
commands.  I have used these to troubleshoot SMTP and HTTP issues.
You need to type the entire request.  For HTTP, this includes the GET
or POST, headers, and content (for POST).  Changing the User-Agent
header will show responses for different browsers.

You should probably use both.  Use WireShark to learn everything the
browsers are sending, then use a easier-to-control less-detailed
client for testing.

solprovider