Hi,
This is another idea :
Are you *sure* that the browser *really* understands what you enter/paste in the userid/password fields of its built-in Basic authentication dialog, as being UTF-8 ?
Where is this specified ?

No I'm not -- I'd say it should use what is in my locale(?).
I also didn't find any info on this on the browsers side.

Are you sure that the Base64 string that the server is receiving, really corresponds to the byte sequence of what you entered, in the UTF-8 encoding ?

Unfortunately it's not so easy, let's see what I'm getting when I send the following two strings "ěščřžýáíéňďťúůó" "ĚŠČŘŽÝÁÍÉŇĎŤÚŮÓ" as username and password (delimited with "-"):

"-a
Y~ЩАМИHeЗoС-`X}щамиGdзnс-"

The number of bytes is the same!:( I even tried to find out what conversion could produce such scrambled output, but didn't succeed in finding any. It even doesn't look like if it would cut the first byte from the utf8 character.

As there are also "normal" chars in the output (a,e,...) I also cannot try to "repair" the chars on the server.

I still can't believe there is no way how to do this, I mean, there must be many many people who need this -- or not?

Regards,
Milos