Mário Gamito wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to protect a directory, something I've done countless times before.

Now, instead of appearing the dialog with the login and password
boxes, I get a 404 !!!

Here's my files:

.htaccess:

AuthType Basic
AuthName imgs
AuthUserFile /home/absinto/public_html/imgs/.htpasswd
require valid-user

.htpasswd:

imgs:6TFsHlTQhms6Q

Would you be so kind to try:

http://www.absinto.org/imgs/

or

http://www.absinto.org/imgs/firefox.png

The login and the password are both "imgs" (without the quotes).

This boggles me!

As a last note, I have no access to the Apache configuration file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito

Judging by the fact that loading the URL http://www.absinto.org/imgs/firefox.png gives an HTML page as opposed to an image or Apache 404 error page, I would assume you are using mod_rewrite somewhere (perhaps Wordpress does this)? A custom 404 error page would also explain this, but since pulling the URL http://www.absinto.org/imgs/ also gives the 404 error, I wouldn't think that is the case. I would look at the rewrite rules first if the file /imgs/firefox.png really does exist on the server. As long as mod_rewrite is altering the URL in some way unexpected, you're still going to have weird anomalies.

Also, in what directory is the .htaccess file located? It is inside of a <Directory> container?

--
Justin Pasher